Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Some Progress

A day with few real distractions, I manged to make some progress.  I was stuck during my efforts to 3d render a head, so I shifted goals and instead used my time to craft a simple, 3d treasure chest.  It's enough of a staple that it would eventually be needed in my project, and with few enough details.  However, having not built one up before, I found myself taking the better part of the day figuring out how to get it looking the way I wanted it to.  Now, I do intend to modify it further in the future (I haven't made an animation of it opening), but to start everything out, I'm going for functionality before I worry if everything's pretty enough.

In addition to creating a treasure chest, I've begun compiling a list of items I'll potentially want to render in 3d besides the characters.  Once I design a baseline human I can do quick modifications and proliferate for generic NPCs and humanoid enemies, or custom modification to represent specific characters.  Either way, I feel my time learning 3d is best spent on simpler applications first.  You're mileage may vary.

As far as heads go, two issues were frustating me: figuring out how I wanted to sculpt a chin, and figuring out how to put together an eye.  Painting the eye on a sphere didn't seem to work for me, and I've yet to figure out how to bind 2 separate objects (I came up with a work-around for separating components from objects). I did, however, realize that I could use extruded edges to shore up the gaps between the eyeball and the eye socket.  Amazing how difficult it can be to discover the obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment